Maritza Dominguez Braswell is a founding partner at the new law firm of Rollin Braswell Fisher LLC. Her practice focuses on commercial litigation with a concentration in financial services, capital markets, structured finance, and private investor litigation as well as the prosecution and defense of tort-based claims. She has distinguished herself in the handling of experts and has provided oversight for a broad range of experts, including experts in academia, experts in the securitization industry, statisticians, engineers, and medical professionals.
Maritza’s colleagues and clients alike have come to rely on her natural judgment and insight. At her core, Maritza is a problem solver. She appreciates the multifaceted nature of complex litigation and has the ability to quickly identify key legal issues, recognize important business considerations, and account for the human emotions at the center of all litigation. Maritza’s ability to issue-spot, combined with her facility for strategic and creative thinking, make her a valuable asset on any team.
A testament to her range of experience, Maritza has been able to diversify her practice and is equally at home litigating multi-billion dollar structured finance cases as well as prosecuting and defending personal injury matters. Maritza has litigated on behalf of large corporations, professional sport franchises, large-scale developers, and other entities involved in high stakes, high-profile litigation. She has also handled a variety of personal injury claims for plaintiffs, and other tort-based actions brought against public entities.
Maritza earned her law degree from Rutgers University School of Law, with honors and a full scholarship. While in law school, she co-chaired the Women’s Law Forum and was active in the Human Rights Forum. Maritza holds an undergraduate degree in public policy and human communications from the University of Denver. At DU, she won numerous awards and served as vice-president of the student government.
Prior to law school, Maritza was a legal advocate with Family Tree Women in Crisis, a non-profit that provides advocacy and support to victims of domestic violence in the Greater Denver area. At Family Tree, she provided Spanish translation and interpretation in the court system, an experience that inspired her to attend law school.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Capital Markets, Structured Finance, and Secondary Mortgage Market Litigation
- Complex Commercial and Business Torts Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Products Liability Litigation
- Government Entity Litigation
- Trade Secrets Litigation
High-profile, high-stakes residential mortgage-backed securities (“RMBS”) litigation.
Counsel to RMBS investor-plaintiff in a complex mortgage servicing case arising from the collapse of Washington Mutual.
Trial team member in AIG’s challenge to Bank of America’s proposed $8.5 billion settlement of RMBS-related liability arising from Bank of America’s 2008 acquisition of Countrywide.
- Law Week Colorado Top Women Lawyers, 2016
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Star 2014 – 2017
- Denver Business Journal, Outstanding Women in Business Finalist, 2016
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Volunteer for Family Tree Women in Crisis
- Mediator for Court Mediation Services, Denver
- Mediator for Better Business Bureau, Denver
- Co-Chair Children’s Task Force, Colorado Lawyers Committee
- Member, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Denver
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law360 Article “Lehman Judge Signs Off on MBS Claims Estimation Deal”
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law360 Article “Lehman Throws Support Behind RMBS Settlement”
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law360 Article “Lehman Deal Looks to End MBS Claims for Minimum $2.4B”
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law360 Article “$2.4B Lehman RMBS Deal Draws Investor Side-Eye”
- Maritza Dominguez Braswell named to Law Week Colorado’s Top Women Lawyers
- Maritza Dominguez Braswell Elected to Colorado Lawyers Committee Board
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law 360 Article “Lehman Sues Lenders Over Faulty Mortgage Sales”
- RBF Law Case Discussed in Law360 Article “JP Morgan Agrees to $995M RMBS Deal with AMBAC Mid-Trial”
- Maritza Dominguez Braswell joins Law Week’s round table
- RBF Law featured in Law Week Colorado article “Doing Business as RBF Law.”
- RBF Law Partner Maritza Braswell Featured in Denver Business Journal Article “Maritza Braswell Inherited Father’s Entrepreneurial Spirit”
- RBF Law Partner Maritza Dominguez Braswell Named a Finalist for 2016 Denver Business Journal’s Outstanding Women in Business Awards
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Courts:
District of Colorado
District of New Jersey
Rutgers University School of Law
J.D., with honors
University of Denver
Bachelor of Arts